Monday, March 30, 2009

Milton who?

Milton Friedman. Ever heard of him? Me neither.

If you thought Milton Bradley knew everything there is to know about The Game of Life, then you should learn a little about this other Milton. I'm not sure how I made it this far in my life without knowing the name Milton Friedman.

In a nutshell, Milton Friedman was an American economist - many may argue that he was THE American economist. The former Keynesian supporter had a lot of radical ideas that were rejected in the 1960's when they were first presented. Over the years, his economic philosophies have increasingly been accepted.

Friedman has been called "the most influential economist of the second half of the 20th century…possibly of all of it". He was also known as a public intellectual, preaching his ideas in books, scholarly articles, papers, magazine columns, TV programs, videos, and lectures.

Again I ask, how did I miss this guy? He only died 3 years ago. Perhaps our parents were remiss in their duties by leaving Guru Milton out of our bedtime stories. So I have been reading about him and absorbing the vast amount of information, books, lectures, videos he put out there. While I haven't formed a solid opinion on him, I'm am sure intrigued and, thus far, really like him a lot. It's like an economic man-crush.

To get you started:
So what do you think?

1 comment:

Wisconsin Watsons said...

What an amazing man! I see where you get why you have your man-crush. Here's my problem...I think the sense of entitlement has gotten too strong in American. People do NOT take care of their own things anymore. We have too much. It's like the parenting belief of Dr. Phil (not that I like to quote Dr. Phil)...take away ALL your kids stuff and make them earn it..even the mattress they sleep on and the blanket they sleep with. This is what needs to happen in America. We NEED to go through the cycle of depression so that we can cleanse ourselves of all "things". We just don't appreciate the things we have. The talk that Mom sent around the other day was such a great example of how we need to change our focus. The Ensign last month as well. We need to stop being so reliant on the government and teach our children to not be reliant on others as well. Thanks for the info on Milton, Todd. He gives me great food for thought.