Saturday, March 21, 2009

Food Storage Inspiration

All right, I'll go first :). Our ward has a Preparedness Program for which they pass out flyers each month with a spiritual goal and a food storage goal. They also include a quote to inspire us to prepare. I really liked the quotes from February and March...I'd never heard them before, and they did inspire me...so I'll pass them along.

"There is no person who knows the real purpose for which this welfare program is being instituted, but hardly before sufficient preparation has been made, the real purpose will be revealed, and when that time comes it will challenge every resource of the church to meet it." - Harold B. Lee

"When people are able but unwilling to take care of themselves we are responsible to employ the dictum of the Lord that the idler shall not eat the bread of the laborer." - Elder Boyd K. Packer

These two quotes quickly eliminate some common excuses for not having our food storage. It's easy to assume that in some future time of need, the church, our neighbors, or family may be able to pick up our slack. That is not so. I'm feeling great pressure (or divine inspiration, perhaps) to acquire an entire year supply for my whole family, so we will be able to rely on ourselves when the famine comes (that's what it's for, right? ;) I have a long way to go, but it is growing. Slowly, but surely. We have signed up to purchase and assemble six 72-hour kits with the ward this week. Can't wait!

No comments: